Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Because I'm Ms. Brightside

I know I promised that I'll try to be a positive thinker for the most part and find fulfillment in whatever I have now but I can't help recognizing a similar sentiment in this book I'm reading (and it isn't Twilight!).

The waitress brings his coffee. Takashi adds cream, clanks his spoon around in the cup, and drinks.

Then he says, "To tell you the truth, this is the first time in my life I've ever wanted to study something seriously. I've never
had bad grades. They weren't especially good, but they weren't bad, either. I could always get the point of things where it really mattered, so I could always manage with the grades. I'm good at that. Which is why I got into a pretty good school, and if I keep up what I'm doing now, I can probably get a job at a pretty good company. So then I'll probably make a good marriage and have a pretty good home... you see? But now I'm sick of the whole thing. All of a sudden."

After Dark, Haruki Murakami

Well, I look at life as if it's a really long road trip. At one point it becomes tiring, wearying and discomforting but it's a whole lotta fun when you're surrounded by the people you love. Maybe it'll be helpful for me to forget about the destination for a while, and just enjoy the ride. I'll get there when I get there. But get where exactly? I don't know.

If people ask me how I see myself 5, 10, 20 years from now, I'll probably be able to give a rather good answer because I'm good at coming up with answers to anticipated questions (haha). 5 years from now I'll be 30, living independently, enjoying a successful career, about to start a family with a good blah blah blah

Truthfully, though, this is the only answer I can come up with right now: I don't really know where I'll be XX years from now but I'm pretty sure my life won't suck because I won't allow it.

How's that for positivism? :-)