Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Campeon de la liga!!!




Victory is sweet sweet sweet!!! Real Madrid are the champions of the Spanish League again!

I wasn't a fan of football before because I thought it was boring. A bunch of guys kicking the ball around... it's not as eventful as say basketball. I got to know more about it when a friend of mine explained the dynamics of the game at the poolside of the condo where we stayed at in college. It also helped that we got to hang around with the soccer varsity guys we met in one of our prod classes. Next thing I knew I was watching college football and following the leagues on TV. I was also caught in the world cup and euro cup frenzy that I'd wake up diligently in the wee hours just to catch a game or leaving my TV on at CNN waiting for updates. Except for the English Premiere League, ESPN or Star Sports doesn't show live games and I also rooted for teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid (La Liga), Juventus and AC Milan (Serie A) so I relied on the Internet a lot, CNN and BBC.

I so miss the days when I had so much time I don't know what to do with it. Hayyyy.

During that time, Real Madrid was the type of team that was always almost there but never makes it. And I always believed that one day, they'd finally emerge victorious. I mean, how could a team made up of galacticos not be able to secure a championship? They're like the dream team. Almost all of European football's superstars were in that team, at the same time. Back then, they had a formidable, supposedly unbeatable roster: Ronaldo, Luis Figo, Roberto Carlos, Raul Gonzales, Zinedine Zidane (!), David Beckham (he hasn't conquered America then), Iker Casillas, Michael Owen... How could they go wrong, right? Wrong. There was too much ego. They were all superstars and everybody wanted a larger piece of the pie and so teamwork suffered. There were too many poster boys, not to mention really mean crowd! Could you imagine the same home crowd cheering for you and booing you when you missed the shot? Tough love. But they've obviously figured out a way around that now... love ittttttttt.

A couple of years at work and I kind of forgot about football altogether. So when I turned to the sports section of the newspaper yesterday and saw this really big, big, victorious photo of RM celebrating... I was so happy!!! AGAIN?!!! Back-to-back?! So this all happened when I wasn't watching. Been waiting for it and didn't see it... For the past two years that I wasn't following football, they're actually winning titles.

I can hear Alanis Morissette singing... "It's a traffic jam when you're already late, a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break. It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife..."