Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Landslide

There are songs that you love to sing over and over, and there are those that you love to listen to over and over because it touches your soul. Just because.

I imagine myself alone on the beach, staring out to sea. There's not a lot of people in this area. Shades and earphones on, I'm watching the waves crash onto the fine white sand. It's 3 p.m. and I have a beer bottle in hand. And then Landslide by Fleetwood Mac plays from the iPod.

Suddenly, I have the perfect music to feed on this pensive mood.

There's anxiety in knowing that nothing is certain, except change. For some of us, we're still wondering what's the next phase that we'll have to go through in life and how far will life take us. At times we also think about the worst that could happen to us -- and we know that the things that we've gone through at this point aren't the worst yet because we're out here, alive.

If we're in a good place now, are we afraid of change? Perhaps -- because we'll never know if it's for better or worse until it happens. And if the time comes when something big happens or a major step needs to be taken which will change our lives (for better or worse), would we be able to cope?

And what if we refuse change? Will we live our lives wondering what might have been or what we could have been missing out on all along?

"Time gets bolder, children get older, I'm getting older, too."

There's just something about nature and music (and alcohol) that makes me stop and think and take life a little more seriously.

But in lieu of the beach, I'm lying on my back in the wee hours of the morning, staring into darkness while listening to my playlist and waiting for sleep to come.

How ready are we, really, to take life as it happens?

(Hmmmm okay. I think my brain still holds some residue from our philo classes back in college; a fragment of that neverending quest for the purpose of life.)

Just listen to the song and close your eyes.