Sunday, April 24, 2011

Abstinence, is it?

Ever since I got a good understanding of religion in class, I never believed in giving up meat on Fridays in observance of the lenten season. The true meaning of abstinence for me is in keeping yourself from something that you really want or love to do. That's probably the ultimate sacrifice because not eating meat doesn't hurt me at all. I can eat fish all week as long as the dish is good.

But, in respect to tradition and as a compromise, I don't eat meat only during Ash Wednesday and Good Friday every lent. On my end, this year, I've given up three things that I really love from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday, and dude, is it difficult not to give in to temptation! Arrrggggghhhh.

Mind over matter. I can do this! Just a few more hours! Or is it technically over since it's Easter Sunday?