Saturday, October 24, 2009

There's no such thing as love. It's a fantasy.



I love it when love stories don't end the way we expect them to. Love, love, love. A girl who doesn't believe in love, a guy who believes the opposite - love, fate, destiny. The guy pursues the girl, the girl responds to the guy... montage scenes of the guy and girl having fun together, then the girl breaks up with the guy out of the blue, the guy is devastated, the girl eventually gets engaged to a new guy, the old guy is even more devastated, the girl looks for old guy and talks to him one last time, old guy gets over it. Old guy meets new girl. Back to day 1.

The best thing about it is that it's a quirky rom-com that doesn't paint a rosy picture of what love is, rather, it gives a realistic take on relationships and why they don't work out the way they should. It's very creatively made with a nice parallelism of one's expectations and actual reality.  I just found it funny, too, that they included a dance sequence that is characteristic of lousy Pinoy movies, but the one here was entertaining to say the least.


Deconstruction 101
-----------------------------------

Tom: You never wanted to be anybody’s girlfriend and now you’re somebody’s wife.
Summer: That surprised me too.
Tom: I don’t think I’ll ever understand that… I mean it doesn’t make sense.
Summer: It just happened.
Tom: Right… but that, that’s what i don’t understand. what just happened?
Summer: I just, I just woke up one day and I knew.
Tom: Knew what?
Summer: What I was never sure of with you.
Tom: You know what sucks? That everything you believe in is complete and utter bullshit. It sucks. You know, destiny, soul mates, true love and all that childhood fairytale, none sense. You were right. I should have listened to you.
Summer: I guess it's coz I was sitting in a deli and reading Dorian Grey and a guy comes up to me and asks me about it. And now he is my husband. So what if I've gone to the movies? What if I had gone somewhere else for lunch? What if I'd gotten there ten minutes later?  It was meant to be and I just kept thinking. Tom was right.